PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2014, 13:46
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 point with all due respect I do not think this thread was about handling in the flare close to the ground and techniques to use near the ground to deal with gusts, up and down draughts and strong crosswinds.

Yes! My point exactly that a pilot should be confident near the ground in any wind conditions within reason and be able to play that aircraft like a violin.
but that has little to do with a cross control approach and landing and smacks of changing the goal post in this discussion.

Due to the gusty headwind it was impossible to anticipate the speed reduction with sufficient accuracy to judge when to straighten and let the aeroplane land on both mainwheels together. Only option is to transition to wing down and wait for the upwind wheel to land followed by the other then the nose

THAT IS NOT THE ONLY OPTION in which case what have i been doing for the past 28 years in all manner of ****e? also I would reverse your statement!
I would also stress that in some wind the conditions the last thing you want is to be holding off but would be better " flying it on" which you should know about looking at your profile? especially in jets where you want to be on the numbers and not floating halfway down the runway or off the side or off the end of the runway because you do not have enough distance to stop

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 31st Jan 2014 at 15:04.