PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2014, 10:03
Miserlou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tehe.
I second that Pace.

Except for those types which are designed to be actually landed with crab angle, the truth is that both methods are employed, the crab transitioning to the wing down before touchdown. The debate is at what point one transitions.

What Chuck was getting at was why some people would WANT to transition as early as it seems many do. This is also my suspicion, as Pace writes above, that this 'forward slip' is employed to cover up for lack of ability.

I like to use the wing down method too. But then it is an approach angle technique.

I think it is a shame that instruction does not include flying level along the runway at 10' or so, varying the amount of bank and rudder to see and feel the effects. That way the mystery and pressure of crosswind landings would be reduced and a higher level of confidence gained rather than the very short learning opportunity which exists because of the impending touchdown.
It would also demonstrate that the decision time for a baulked landing can be extended. Understand correctly. If you can't fly straight along the runway with full rudder, then the crosswind is exceeding the aircaft's actual limits, if you get my drift. Pun intended.