PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2014, 09:51
MPN11

Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny42C
Missed the LEOs didn't I ? Never mind, I suppose they could be classed as Do-ers (Record Unblotted !) In any case, anyone who's done even one tour as a battery hen in Area Radar is entitled to our sympathy - much may be forgiven him ! - (Sour grapes, of course - I was never a LEO - too kind hearted ?)
There has to be a story here. Let's hear it, please...D.
The Local Examining Officer (LEO) is at the core of the RAF ATC System. In the 1960s, Instructors like Danny42C at the Central Air Traffic Control School (CATCS) taught people the basics - how to drink without falling over after OCTU, how to operate the kit, the National and RAF rules and procedures, and all that. Nothing has changed there. But, as you all know, every airfield is different. So, emerging from CATCS as a ‘real plt off’, you hit your first posting. The old system is now more grown-up: so being able to fly a Vultee Vengeance doesn’t do it any more!! The new kids on the block have to be introduced properly to being ATCOs. So, its a world of On Job Training (OJT) overseen by the SATCO and conducted, mainly, by whoever happens to be on watch in that control position on that day.

The novice, having learned the basics at CATCS, now has to implement whatever is in the Station Flying Order Book and ATC Order Book. Local variations inevitably are legion - you are there to look after the aircraft of that Unit, in the way they (and higher formations, such as Gp and Cmd) require. So you do your time in whatever position it is, until someone says “He’ll do”. At this point steps in the LEO. Usually the LEO will be the SATCO, but a bigger Units there may be a 2nd LEO … and they are both examined and endorsed as such by the ATC Examining Board, after rigorous theoretical and practical examinations in all control positions.

Local Training Team. We didn’t really have those when I started - just whoever was on watch in that position on that day. Some were brilliant teachers, others were a PITA. Being whacked with a Nav Ruler wasn’t training, Pete!! But the majority were good old WW2 guys, trying to feed us into being both officers and ATCOs. These days it’s far more efficient and better managed, and usually only selected ATCOs conduct OJT with new arrivals.

Theory. Just like aircrew, we can’t carry the piles of documents with us to the operating position. The average ATC pile is about 2-3 ft high, and most of it requires instant recall when you’re on the job. The Practical Knowledge (PK) Exam from the ATCEEB or the LEO is scary … some is total recall (FOB etc) or ‘deep knowledge’ where you need to be able to go straight to the right AP or FLIP and open the right page without hesitation to produce the right answer (having checked for FLIP Amendments, of course).

Practical. Do it by the book, maintaining prescribed separation efficiently and without pi$$ing people around. “Safe, Orderly and Expeditious flow of Air Traffic”. If you can’t do that, you need more OJT … or a career in the RAF Regt, or Fighter Control, or Admin (Sec)

So … the LEO is the person who signs off as competent every controller at that Unit, for every operating position after both practical and theory examinations, with the written authority of the ATCEEB by virtue of the endorsement as LEO his F5994. And every Endorsement in your F5994 expires on posting, and at the next Unit the whole process starts over again!
(I see that on 21 Apr 83 I was endorsed for RA (Radar Approach) on the new AR15 radar by my 2nd LEO at Waddington - I wonder who had endorsed him on the new kit?? Must have been an ATCEEB special visit.)