PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2014, 01:17
Australopithecus

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts
Corporate ADHD

I have read a few books about management lately, and psychopaths in the executive suite. (Try "Crazy Bosses" by Stanley Bing). I wonder if management succumbs to "small job" sydrome? That the plebian day-to-day business of running an enterprise is beneath their finely honed skills and unique insights?

The entrepraneurial urge drives people to create new businesses, seek new horizons. It is what drives progress according to the cliché merchants. I expect that a lot of these various ventures offshore (NOT unique to Qantas by any means) are simply evidence of either burning creative juices or boredom?

Brokers and CEOs all have to create churn to assure high pay...either comissions or bonuses based on what amounts to log-rolling: lots of activity for no real gains.

When QF was at its prime it could have been managed by one small team with a strategic vision to prepare the company for future crises and a management team to handle the day to day administration of fleet and route planning and staff. New routes could have been added incrementally, frequencies optimised and fleets planned rationally. None of those boring things were done...I guess management was too busy being seduced by the siren song of a pan-Asian adventure.

I am reminded of one of those Warren Buffet aphorisms: stick to the knitting.

Anyone game to buy shares right now on the expectation that Joyce can delight the market in February?