PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2014, 23:51
Danny42C

Warmtoast,

Don't see why anyone would object (can't speak for the Mods, of course). But if you have some good "gen" which may be useful to others on this Thread, why not ?

Long time ago, when currency restrictions were much tighter than now, I think you had to do the deal in UK and in sterling, but I suppose it's all different today. Did you still have the two-year rule (car has to stay out of UK for two years before you can bring it in tax (VAT ?) free ?

Lovely pics: very nostalgic. Note how clear the roads were kept - in contrast to ours ! The rest of Europe watches on in amusement as Britain slides into chaos when a few inches of snow come down. It does not seem to occur to us that, as snow has fallen most winters from time immemorial, there is a high probability that it'll happen again this year. So we take no sensible precautions and are caught out every time.

However, this is starting to change. The sales of monstrous 4x4 "Chelsea Tractors" are booming, and those unwilling or unable to re-mortgage the family home to buy one, must content themselves with a set of snow tyres. As these really need a spare set of wheels to go with them, that isn't a cheap option either.

Danny.

PS: As Mrs W. is a native of the region, she may cast a critical eye on my memories of Gargellen (always remembering that they are 53 years old now !)...D.

Last edited by Danny42C; 30th Jan 2014 at 23:59. Reason: Afterthought.