PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2014, 21:57
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually no they don't glendalegoon, you'll be in total control all the way if you fly the cross control technique correctly. Some folk here are describing it at as side slip manoeuvre but it's not as extreme as that.
I would like to elaborate on the above by sapco2, his use of words can only be correct you are approaching with crossed controls on final with no crosswind or straight into wind.....then it would be described as a forward slip, if there is a cross wind and you use crossed controls to maintain the center line it is side slipping....period.

Please don't feel like I am being to anal about this Sapco2, I am sort of what could be described as a purist when it comes to the art of flying and that is probably because of the environments in which I learned to fly.

Sooooo for those of you who have not read my ideas on how to fly before, here is what made me so picky about airplane handling skills....

......seven years aerial application ( both fixed and rotary wing. ) ......eight years flying DC3's in Canada's north and high Arctic, mostly off airports........fifteen years as Captain on heavy water scoopers fire bombing.....and at the end of my career eight years flying in the air show circuit in Europe.

So as one can see I probably have been programmed to be extra demanding in how to fly an aircraft.

There now I hope ya'all cut me some slack for being so anal.