PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Habsheim
Thread: Habsheim
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2014, 18:30
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Noske and Dozy,

Whoever did that PDF made a real pig's-ear of l'assemblage, as the page numbers of the Annexes are clearly not even close to being sequential. However, some of the missing ones in "Additif" could be because the drawings/photos might have been one-sided, and the copier didn't even notice (s)he'd copied the blank sides.

Then there's the original itself...

The contents of several of the Annexes do not correspond to the index. The chaos includes the fact that (as you say, Noske) Annexe VII is listed in the index as "Correlation...", presumably a narrative justification of the method used to synchronise the timings of CVR, DFDR, Basel ATC, and Habsheim ATC. It is missing from that PDF.

Instead, the first 3 "Tomes" of the DFDR print-out are erroneously headed Appendix VII, and Tomes 4 - 6 (correctly) as Appendix VIII.

Quote from DozyW:
"The formatting of the data is different between Annexes 7 and 8. I suspect Annexe 7 is the *output used to synchronise* the complete DFDR data params (in Annexe 8) with the CVR."

I think not. In fact the most valuable point of correlation between DFDR and CVR probably occurs at TGEN 266 in Tome 5, which (as HN39 pointed out some time ago) is defined in the Airbus 1991 report as being 1244:31 GMT. That point (and hopefully at least one other) would have been used to insert a time stamp on the CVR transcript, as the CVR does not record any time stamp of its own, but (fortunately) runs at a steady speed. The correlation is the DFDR's discrete of the co-pilot's brief transmission on VHF1 (see also the CVR). So Tome 5 is essential in the correlation process.

BTW, I wasn't aware that Ray Davis, formerly of the AIB/AAIB, was a pilot, as you seem to be implying. At Farnborough in the 1980s, he was known simply as Ray Davis.

Last edited by Chris Scott; 1st Feb 2014 at 09:55. Reason: (In)discrete spelling.. Syntax error corrected in para 3.