PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2014, 17:02
packo1848

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was taught the crab method during my PPL, then post PPL I flew with a family member (75 skipper and GA Instructor) who can't advocate the cross-control method strongly enough. Notice I avoided the use of the words side-slip or wing-down; when I thought of the approach in these terms I found it very difficult to master and found myself hugely over controlling the aircraft both with rudder and aileron, then the approach became extremely uncomfortable!

The key to making the approach comfortable I found was a fine balance of sufficient rudder and aileron combination, which except for in very strong winds led to approaches with wings level (or very nearly so) and the nose pointing directly down the centre-line. A very comfortable position to be in if you ask me.

Feeding cross-controls in gradually throughout the final approach I find works best for me and gives me a great feel for how much control is going to be required and keeps the aircraft stabilised on the centreline of the runway from turning final to touching down and the subsequent roll-out. I find it also helps negate any nasty surprises from low-level windsheer as the control inputs required to correct it are so much smaller.

Just my humble opinion as a relatively low hour pilot.