PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Athletes heart + fixed/rotary medical differences.
Old 30th Jan 2014, 16:31
Ulster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Secondly, is there a difference between a Class 1 medical for fixed wing and for rotary?
Happy to confirm that the answer to that is "no". It doesn't do any harm to remind now and again that a pilot's "licence" and his "medical" are separate things (although obviously closely linked).

Extreme bradycardia at rest in a very fit person would not usually be a problem. My ECG machine prints the word "abnormal" if the HR drops below 50, but these are still "acceptable" for class 1's if there is nothing else. We are not allowed to accept a HR of 40 or less without further investigation.

For my own PPL class 2 a few months back I had to do a 24 hour Holter, which showed one single nocturnal "pause" of 2.6 secs. Because of that I had to repeat the Holter - no pauses second time around ! Quite frankly, I'm afraid I can't see the CAA medics granting a class 1 to anyone who is regularly having nocturnal pauses of 6 secs !

As always with this kind of thing, I would be delighted to be proved wrong !