PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2014, 15:23
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning gang....

Well, well this has turned out real well, three pages and everyone still friendly and no one has gone bonkers.

So it can be seen that thoughtful discussion about different methods of aircraft handling can be educational as we have going here.

The operative description is " Aircraft handling " which involves a broad spectrum of attitudes and manipulation of controls to produce a desired attitude.

I chose this subject because it is one which I knew every pilot here would have not only a preference for but a reason for their preference.

As we can gather from how this discussion is going either method of approach to landing will work, therefore the only difference is which method is best.......

With a bit of reflection on the subject we must come to the conclusion that generally speaking at some point in the approach, landing in a strong cross wind crossed controls will be needed.

For me I try and visualize why I don't use the side slip method of maintaining track on a cross country and from that determination I plan my use of the flight controls during my landing approach.

Anyhow ...great job gang everyone is polite and thoughtful.

I was going to start a new discussion on how to judge height height above the runway for the flare....but decided to do this subject....

...and someone here might be able to retrieve my ideas on the judging height above the runway from some years ago.

I am getting old now but I do still get pleasure from sharing the lessons I learned during my career as a pilot and should do so before I become a complete mindless idiot.