PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2014, 14:28
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a 'crabber' but I flew gliders for decades before going to the dark side. It's just natural for me to crab the approach. Having said that one of my club pals poles 757's as the day job and he uses wing down. Says you know if you have enough control authority that way. Never tried it other than slipping on finals to loose a bit of height. As an aside, how many times have you been in a howling xwind at 200' and by the time you are flaring it's down to a gentle breeze? I've sat beside wing down pilots on xwind approaches and it seems like a whole lot of work to me. But hey, whatever you're comfortable with.

Engine/yoke for speed on instrument approaches: an engine man myself, find it more natural to keep on the glideslope with the throttle. The aircraft is trimmed out and a trickle of extra or less power is much easier to control than chasing the needles with the yoke. IMO of course. If you're having to make power adjustments of more than 100 rpm then you haven't set yourself up properly in the first place.