PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2014, 12:18
Sunnyjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunnyjohn... You need to look at the root cause of the accident. Electing to continue an approach to an airport where the weather was below minimums.
I take your point. Because the crew were busy putting the seats back, as I previously mentioned, they left late. They made two attempts (below minimums, true) then held for twenty minutes while they looked at alternatives, all of which were also fogbound. However, ATC had suggested Kerry to them, which was above minimums and they were contemplating diverting when they heard another aircraft on approach told by ATC that the fog had lifted slightly. This may well have influenced them to try for the third time, instead of diverting to Kerry. Incidentally, for those of you who know the area, Kerry is literally just down the road from Cork but, being further west, was escaping most of the fog blanketing southern Ireland that morning. None of this, I agree, excuses their attempting to land below minimums, or their lack of experience, or their lack of CRM. I regret to say, being a resident of the country, that that all goes back to Spain, still, in many ways, a third world country. Those of you that have been party to the whole of this thread will remember that I did a bit of digging with regard to the dubiousness of the Spanish companies involved.

Last edited by Sunnyjohn; 30th Jan 2014 at 17:27. Reason: Removed speculative information