PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructing or Glider towing
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2014, 09:30
The Flying Stool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instructing or Glider towing

Hi Guys,

I recently finished my CPL/ME/IR training and I'm currently at a cross roads and would like some advice. Whilst I'm applying for the airlines, my 260hours is well short of the 1000+ some carriers are asking for and I really can't afford to go to Ryanair. I therefore feel that i have two options open to me at present:

Instructing- I've visited my local flying school where I underwent my PPL training and spoke to the MD who told me that if I do the FI course, I can instruct on a part time basis with his school. However, the current cost of an FI course is around the £8000 mark and I'm struggling to justify spending this much after spending such a large chunk of my cash on modular cpl/me/ir to fly VFR at weekends only.

Glider towing- I'm a reasonably experienced glider pilot (Silver) but haven't done much in the last couple of years. My gliding club is currently short of tug pilots and the tug master has told me that I can become a tug pilot on their pa25 on a voluntry basis if I complete my tailwheel differences training and do some dual towing on another clubs piper cub.

I'm really at a bit of a loss on how to get my hours up in the most productive way that will make me more attractive to the airlines. I realise that I am one of thousands of newly qualified cpl/me/ir holders who are all jostling to get into an airline job.

Basically, if you were in my situation, which do you think would be the best course to take?