PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2014, 08:19
Australopithecus

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts
Work Choices by stealth

Before the election Labor claimed (shrilly, I thought at the time) that Abbott would re-institute a form of Work Choices. After Howard was dumped for W.C. I am astonished that the current government could be so tone deaf as to even opine on worker's pay and conditions.

I am glad that Coca-Cola is going to miss some of my tax dollars, but I am less than amused at this re-visiting of awards. I hope the unions require full forensic accounting and get to make public all salary, bonuses, expenses and other considerations of every board member, executive, manager etc.

As far as the twats that continue to claim that Australian airline employees are too generously paid...get out more and see what other airlines pay compared to what their tax rates and cost of living are. This is a high-cost country so living wages need to be correspondingly non-trivial.

And the fact that Jetstar pays less should not then define a new benchmark. Cobham pays less: should their rates become the new normal? I once flew (very briefly) with a guy who volunteered that he would do it for free. If they could only find another 1,600 like HIM we could all get some sleep.

Last edited by Australopithecus; 30th Jan 2014 at 22:17.