PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing down during final approach.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2014, 01:07
glendalegoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes CHUCK, I do agree with you .

Though I don't know you at all.

I've flown small planes and big planes and they all work just fine. CRAB, near the runway kick the rudder and put the other wing down.

I could spend hundreds of words explaining it in detail. But I won't.

One plane I flew, it seemed better to crab, put the wing down and THEN kick rudder. But it was sort of odd.

I use the word: KICK as a slang term for proper pressure on the rudder pedal.

Try it folks, it works, its how the big boys do it.

But you must learn your ways, the plane you are flying's ways and learn when to do it.

One poor guy was my copilot about 29 years ago. It was a regional turboprop. He had just come off B52s (which has crosswind gear). He used the wing low method from about a three mile final.

I let him do it.

He was exhausted by the time we got to the runway.

I spoke to him kindly and showed him the next day how the crab and straighten out method worked.

He thanked me. No one at the little airline had shown him. YET HE HAD BEEN FLYING ONE OF THE BIGGEST PLANES OUT THERE . He could have taught me how to fly the B52.

Hang in there Chuck. Let me know if I can be of any help.

TO the pilot who asked when you make the transition, I made the big leap of faith sometime around 150 hours. Well over 30 years ago.

You have to have faith in your ability to straighten out near the end. I just made up my mind one day to get her done. Just believe for one moment you can handle a plane like robert a bob hoover. and you can!

Last edited by glendalegoon; 30th Jan 2014 at 01:18.