PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chieftain down in SA
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2014, 21:08
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think plenty can learn from these incidents via PPrune, ya just gotta take most of it cautiously . With these old airframes now well & truly worn the original certification for SE capability would be dubious at best. Remember the cost of operating one of these old girls is enormous, there's little money to be made in this mugs game & it's usually at the expense of two things, money paid to the driver & maintenance, the less the better in both cases for the owner.

When ever I flew one of these old beasts a 100 yrs ago I always had a plan if I lost a fan below circuit height & that involved heading for an open area to guts it & 'IF' I was able to maintain height on the way to said resting place then that would have been plan B, to get back & land on the black bit. With this plan in mind at least I had the location already picked & wasn't confronted with sh1t it's going down where am I gunna put this piece of junk!! Worked for me on all piston eng machines, Turbines a diff story especially the 31T, loved that machine you had power to spare in the same airframe:-)
One day out of Roxby Downs late in the day temp up around 40 degs with a full load of grubby smelly engineers heading back to 'Port a Gutta' when I took off selected the gear up the gear just sat there refusing to retract, the result was pretty much full power around the circuit to land only pulling the power off on short final, scared the crap out of me! If I had have lost even a magneto I was dirt fodder! These airframes are bloody dangerous, lucky they where built like tanks from day one !

Wmk2