PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2014, 18:53
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airfast Australia which grew from its origin as HUPL (Helicopter Utilities Pty Ltd) from whom a few posters here used to work used to do the S58 twinpac conversions in Sydney at their Mascot base. I remember some excitement from some of their staff proclaiming the fact around late 1971 I think it was.

When Airfast Australia went into receivership around mid to late 1975, I assume that was when Airfast Indonesia was split off and set up as its own company. Perhaps the Indonesian outfit inherited quite some tooling then, although I am only postulating. Their journey into receivership was not accompanied with acrimony as they so often are.. I am hazy on dates as I worked for Killen then but not as a direct Airfast employee, in fact he sponsored me my first Helicopter license in early 1974 (private and at that time only $AU2300 worth) so from my point of view he did me a fantastic turn.
At its peak Airfast operated 104 helicopters and some 32 F/W, Even though some of Mr. Killens investments had turned sour its demise was principally brought about by the advent of the Whitlam Labor Govt which in turn immediately precipitated a mass walkout by exploration companies in Australia. Some 57 of airfast helicopters were without work in a time frame of about 48 hours.