PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Touch A Name!
Thread: Touch A Name!
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2014, 16:05
Offshore Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went for a walk around what used to be RAF Banff today, then I stopped at the Banff Strike Wing memorial west of Boyndie Windfarm (as the old location of the airfield is now). As I walked the old tarmac and saw the remains of some of the buildings the ex crab in me got a bit nostalgic. My girlfriend was pretty much unaware of what had happened there during the war. I am not native to the Banff area but live here now with my girlfriend who is. Very few people seem to be aware of the importance of the place in the past, which I find very sad. Some very brave men left there never to return.

If you are in the area there is a visitor centre just short of the windfarm itself, primarily full of some local charity shops but they have loads of exhibits and information from the Banff Wing, including a mast tip from a German destroyer complete with flag fragment that was taken back to Banff in the belly of a Mosquito. The information boards outside are excellent too. There is a cafe there staffed by local people with disabilities, the food is excellent. Well worth a visit.