PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying into RAF aerodromes
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2003, 20:39
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. some things I'd thought about, and a few I hadn't (I would have turned up with just a credit card, for example - Doh!).

Consensus seems to be £8 or so for the landing - I had envisaged huge three figure sums designed to put people off! Also, our club DOES have the Crown liability insurance apparently so no prob. there.

I'm fairly low hours but not lacking in the confidence to try somthing a bit different. I'll let people know if I ever get around to it. One place which looked interesting was Valley on Angelsey - I could combine this with a trip to Caernarfon. Anyone been?

I also plan to fly into Cosford at some point. They have an RAF museum there (kind of like a mini-duxford I believe). Pooleys say they only accept private a/c Mon-Fri - I'll call them to check because that would make a GREAT Northern/Midlands fly-in venue! (Just NNW of Wolverhampton Intergalagtic - easy for most to get to).

BlueRobin, I know what you mean about Heli's - was reading about the accident where a cessna crashed on landing at an RAF field due to propwash - thats one of the things that prompted this thread.

On a different (but related topic) - did anyone see the 'Dambusters' programme the other night - I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it on here! They are trying to re-create the famous bombing raid using modern RAF crew in a Lancaster simulator at Scampton. The main focus of it all seemed to be the difficulties of low-level navigation - VERY relevant to us lot! Was fun watching fighter pilots drawing wind trangles on the back of CRP-1's and trying to fly around Lincolnshire and Yorkshire (my local area). I think the concluding part is on next Tuesday for 1.5hrs. Worth a look.