PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2014, 19:43
Irish Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That made for a thought provoking scan, and it's now clear that there were previously unreported subtle but significant defects with the engine that contributed to the crash, along with a whole litany of errors, bad supervision, and many other issues that were not adequately addressed by the regulatory environment.

I will be reading it in depth at a later occasion, but not tonight.

The number of failings at all levels is scaring, and not what is expected by the customers, or the regulators, or by anyone who has any care or interest in aviation.

Some of the supposedly more bizarre suggestions I made at the time, and got seriously attacked for have also been implied if not confirmed.

They were not prepared for diversions as they were supposed to have been, and did not have full information required to perform the flight. At the most critical point of the final fatal approach, the PF was not in full control of the aircraft, as the PNF was manipulating the power.

I've not seen so many "failings" or similar qualifications on a report on a European accident in a very long time, and when I look at what the AAIU had to contend with in terms of lack of information, or even worse, wrong information, they are to be commended on producing a very detailed and accurate finding in respect of an accident that should have serious consequences for a lot of people, at the operational and regulatory levels,

This report has exposed some fundamental flaws in the regulatory environment that may come as a shock to many people, aviation is supposedly one of the most highly regulated activities on the planet, alongside things like Atomic Power stations, and it is clear from this report that the system has failed in a dramatic manner, and will have to be looked at very closely in order to ensure that another accident of this nature does not happen.