PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best of the old iron
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2014, 19:38
Trimup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So we have been up and running with the Westwind since July without issues. Bought two units one with fresh inspections, an immaculate recent interior and updated avionics and the other with just done engines but an interior that looks like it was used to haul a team of sled dogs. Got both for a song from a corporate owner who just wanted them gone for their fiscal year end. Engines on the clean unit are almost run out now. We have not spent a dime on them in 450hrs beyond fuel and standard care, they came to us naked, no prepays. The MX provider we have been using has offered to swap the engines between the airframes for zero cash, he keeps the run out engines. No cash is always tempting but I don't yet know what the old engines are worth on the open market so it may not be a smart deal.

Second concern is possible need for an alternate/additional aircraft with longer legs. Handover is proceeding well and new owners have floated the idea of using my team to help them move up the time table for a division in location C instead of waiting until they can do it themselves. They are willing to cover all costs on the same terms. Location C is about 6500nm from our home airport. There are sufficient tech stops to make the trip in the Westwind but I don't think it would be much fun. I am considering a GII/III like say this 1977 GULFSTREAM IISP Jet Aircraft For Sale At Controller.com or this 1982 GULFSTREAM III Jet Aircraft For Sale At Controller.com but am not sure if IISP/B have the eight passenger range necessary to go the distance with a single stop. All three seem to have solid reputations amongst the pilots I have asked. Fuel consumption is the only negative that comes up again and again but since I get to hang that millstone around somebody else's neck it is a non issue in my decision. I realize Speys have the reputation for being expensive but it seems all but certain that only a few of the very nicest G-1159s are going to be hushed and the bulk sold dirt cheap or scrapped, so even going naked on them should not actually represent a very large financial risk. I could always buy a second airframe with solid engines when the market bottoms out in another year or so.