PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V22 Osprey discussion thread Mk II
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2014, 17:45
SansAnhedral

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Seems FH has crawled back out from under his rock! Nice to see you in 2014.

So I suppose this is our cue to pick apart your rambings point by point again...

Originally Posted by FH1100 Pilot
And then it turns out (thanks to Udakat's supposedly first-hand description) that the unarmed V-22's were shot at by...well...teenagers with pea shooters. HAHAHAHAHAHAH
I think you need a refresher on what a 23mm ZSU might be referring to. Pea shooter, it ain't. But there I am giving you credit for being ignorant versus disingenuous...

If the V-22 does a fast, straight-in approach it's likely to crash (Marana, 4/2000 and Afghanistan, 4/2010)
1 incident in testing where the AC decended *far* faster than permitted in the RFM (try decending at 2500 fpm at 258' AGL in ANY helicopter), and 1 incident in operation where the AC flipped after hitting a wadi on rollout of another botched approach deceleration does not make a determination of "likely" over the course of 200,000 flight hours of the aircraft performing these maneuvers (within NATOPS) on a daily basis.

Or maybe it'll just crash while "maneuvering" (a USAF one in 2009 that they won't talk about, one in Morocco, 4/2012 and one on Eglin AFB, 6/2012).
Hard to argue a "secret crash" wouldnt you say? Morocco was a pilot who beeped the nacelles forward at low altitude before hitting 40 kts, fully in violation of NATOPS. Eglin was the same pilot from the 2010 Afghanistan incident who strayed into the well defined stayout zone of the lead formation aircraft during low altitude gunnery training. You know these facts, youve posted in these threads immediately after they happened. None of these incidents can be honestly construed as a valid indictment of the aircraft.

I just find it curious that the V-22 crashes so often considering that only about 160 of the things have been built so far (as opposed to...how many helicopters?)
Crashes "so often"? You just listed 4 incidents in the span of A DECADE. Do you really not understand the premise of accident RATES? Of course you do, there I go assuming your ignorance again .

Firstly, as of June of 2013 the USMC had 214. This is not counting the CV-22s (whose incidents you chose to count above). In addition, the fleet is probably right around 200,000 flight hours to date, if not more.

You ask "How many helicopters?" Richard Whittle answered this question a couple years ago:
Originally Posted by Richard Whittle
Between Oct. 1, 2001 and July 2012, three Ospreys have crashed with a loss of six lives. During the same period, the U.S. military has lost 414 helicopters at a cost of 606 deaths.
For example the venerable CH-46 experienced 44 Class A mishaps over its initial 5 years of operational service. This included a few that broke up in flight due to the notorious station 410 failures. Now you want to hammer on the V-22's mishaps in its operational infancy while using conventional helicopters as the baseline? The V-22 has been far and away safer. Full stop. There is no argument.

(inane drivel)
Now that the great Tom Clancy has passed, maybe you can pick up the torch with such an imagination.

Im sure I speak for the rest of the contributors to this thread when I say we all await with bated breath more of your stellar responses!