PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can a lapsed PPL fly solo under the supervision of an FI?
Old 10th Apr 2003, 19:12
tacpot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the lapsed PPL flying under the supervision of the Instructor, what is the definition of this supervision? Does the instructor have to remain on the home airfield, does the instructor have to stay near a VHF transceiver or a 'phone, is there ANY definition of this supervision?

As a PPL student, I went on nav exercises prior to the QXC and was effectively being supervised by someone at the home airfield 50nm away, who was most probably flying with another student at the time they they were also 'supervising' me.

The background to this question is I have friend whose PPL has lapsed, but he has an aircraft he can fly from a farm strip, but where there would not normally be an instructor in attendance. If my friend wanted to fly some solo consolidation, between instruction trips, how far away could an instructor supervise him from? There is a licensed airfield with flying schools close to the farm strip, could an instructor from one of these schools supervise him from the licensed airfield?

And I really do have a friend - I'm not asking for me