PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Night it Rained Meteors
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2014, 10:00
Dennis Kenyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meteors at Weston Zoyland

Many thanks for the reference Kluseau ... plenty of information for me on a general Meteor basis which is much appreciated. However, I'm hoping to touch base with any personnel who were more closely associated with the Feb 12 1954 occasion or anyone who has more detailed info of that night. I was actually airborne and am trying to match my recollections of the RT transmissions from the diverted aircraft to published reports. I hit 82 this year so the memory cells ain't so good these days!

For example, after landing, I was approached by an RAF fireman who had been on the blocked runway guarding the wheels-up Meteor. He told me the last Meteor to land didn't have any sound coming from the engines.

Any other associated ground crew or pilots on here? Instructor names I recall were F/L Pinder, Pryce, Taylor, Curtis and Lawrence. F/Os Woodward, Clarke, Warden and Goodfellow .... Student pilots, F/Os Armstrong, Austin, Huggins and self, plus the Squadron CO, Franklyn and W/C Horne.

Anyone remember the Air Commodore who landed well down the runway on a first jet solo. He decided to overshoot as it was called in those days. One engine lit up and the other just resonated with compressor stall. The Meteor was BER but the pilot totally OK. (Name withheld)

From my log book for the 'Reggie Buffs ... Meteors on 209 AFS were: WH228, 727, 316, 271. Mk 4s, VT120, 127, 128, 228, 309, 332 and 337.
E&Os excepted.

Thanks to all, DRK