PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 28th Jan 2014, 09:58
maxwelg2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To bus drivers and SLF all over the world...

Loss of life in our work place is always a subject that brings a reality check for me in this part of my job.

There is a price to safety, and in our current industry that reveals itself in the most unfortunate way, whether in the air or on the rig floor.

Training, equipment, safety culture, are just a few of the mitigating factors in what happened off Shetland.

All we can do is try and prevent the same thing happening again, or being totally realistic at least minimize it.

I'm about to drive to work, which is inherently less safe than flying in the back of a helo, do I choose not to do it or do I keep the risk as low as possible by adopting a safe driving style and using a piece of equipment with the latest built in safety features. I decide myself the level of risk in how I drive and what I drive in.

What I don't have much control on is the other drivers out there and what they use. That is only influenced by a larger safety culture, and what is accepted by my fellow man and woman.

We should always learn from our mistakes and experience, here's to doing the same in our shared working lives. It is only with our voices singing from the same hymn sheet that this will happen, so please take a step back and look at the causal factors of this tragedy and so many others like it and see what you can do as an individual and within your own organization to mitigate the causal factors.

That's all we can do, we all just want to do our jobs to the best of our ability with what we've got.

Safe flying

Max

Last edited by maxwelg2; 28th Jan 2014 at 14:39.