PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AWWA Sky Whale - new design idea
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2014, 07:06
boisbrule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWWA Sky Whale - new design idea

It's not obvious to me what "redirecting laminar flow" means or what the benefits would be. Points that come to mind:

1. The fuselage shape (like a lifting body) and the wing planform suggest a discontinuity in the spanwise lift distribution and increased induced drag (due to lift).

2. The booms involve increased wetted area for no obvious benefit.
More drag.

3. Designers of heavy jets have settled on engine pods ahead of the wings for definite reasons of lower drag and weight. If a different location is part of substantially increased laminar flow OK, but let's hear how it works. A lot of experimental work has been done on suction and blowing, but I haven't heard of any worthwhile production designs.

An Airbus concept with fuselage mounted engines has been described at
BBC News - Carbon fibre planes: Lighter and stronger by design

It's a lot cleaner than the whale and one can see a better wing/fuselage junction aft. I'm guessing it relies on carbon fibre giving more strength and rigidity for the weight, so not as much dependent on forward engines for wing weight saving.

4. Pressurized fuselages are made of one or more (e.g. overlapping) cylinders for good reasons. Is there a benefit to the whale's non-cylindrical design that's worth the weight? Tell us about it.

Last edited by boisbrule; 29th Jan 2014 at 03:33. Reason: New info, correction