PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787 "teething troubles" statistics?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2014, 01:09
MrSnuggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many of the battery troubles are because of the new bleedless design that affects battery performance (thus requiring "new" technology batteries) and not enough time to test things through really.

The electronical malfunctions I believe are due to the new insulation - teflon - that is very non-stick, but as everyone with a teflon frying pan knows, it is also very prone to minor flaws if handled a bit rough. Teflon can also suffer from so called "creep" which means that it literally creeps together, like a rubberband when tension is released. Both these properties I believe was not fully understood in the early design.

The geographical distribution of these problems is interesting. From a Scandinavian point of view it seems like Norway got the electrical malfunctions and Japan got the battery troubles. Other countries have had various problems, transponders not working correctly (Poland), pieces of plane falling off (India) etc.

It would be interesting to see a more comprehensive geographical view of the problems, compared to the delivery date. I'm just picking trends from my head and trust me, that is not always a very up-to-date place.. ;-D