PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Darwin in the 80's
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2014, 00:39
Howabout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim Hillder

Does anyone know what became of Jim Hilder? I imagine that he may have departed the fix by now, but maybe not, although he would probably be in his eighties.

Ex-RAAF Meteor pilot in Korea, flew for TAA, and spent part of that stint on loan with the NT Medical Service on the old Herons out of DAR in the 60s. He was a close mate of my old man who worked for AWA out of the old terminal building. His wife, Kath, and my mum were great friends back in the DAR of old (when Smith St wasn't a mall!)

He joined SAATAS around 65/66.

Next time I saw him (79/81) he was flying the DAK for Connair. He then departed and went to PNG with Air Niugini and I understand that he was there for a few years. I think he was known as 'Jumbo' to the Air Niugini guys.

The last contact I had was when I bumped into him in the Green Room and that must have been around 96. I was on a work visit and went for a few afternoon beers on my lonesome out of nostalgia. Cowboy was still doing the rounds!

However, DAR just wasn't the same - it had lost something from the old days.

Anyway, if anyone can fill in the blanks as regards Jim and Kath I'd really appreciate it.