PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Precautionary landing during thunderstorm!
Old 27th Jan 2014, 19:41
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are talking about Saturday weather? DRIVING IN MY CAR back from Banbury to Oxford I was as badly frightened as ever in an aircraft! I have never experienced such weather in the UK, the wind was gusting at least 60 mph, tree branches sailing through the air, wacking against my car, viz was down to a matter of yards, the rain was practically solid. News media is talking we had tornados! not quite, but driving through that storm, that followed me right down to Oxford, is something I don't want to do again. Just very glad not to be on a boat. The car has dents all over the old ones.

And speaking of lightning, remember that two seat K21 glider from Dunstable that was struck by lighning and disintegrated? both occupants parachuted to safety; they didn't need to open the canopy, it wasn't there any more. The wreckage was retrieved by the AAIB and studied; they found the voltage of the strike, which melted the controls of the glider, to be well in excess of any lightning protection on current airliners....

perhaps some person could give a reference to that report....must have been at least 15 years ago.