PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying into RAF aerodromes
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2003, 17:00
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying into RAF aerodromes

I'd always kind of assumed that RAF fields would be off-limits to us GA types, but I was just reading through a couple of old posts about people flying into these places and it got me thinking.

Many of these airfields are in Pooleys, and advertise landing fees ('MoD Rates'). Some specifically say 'not normally available to civil aircraft', but most don't, so does that mean that the others ARE normally available? If they ARE available, is it normal practice to allow light aircraft in 'just for the hell of it', or do you need a good reason?

I just thought it'd be nice to get a few of these places 'in the log book', and It'd have the added benefit of making me more familiar with what to expect if I ever had to divert to one.

I know I could ring up directly and just ask, but I don't want to sound a complete idiot if it's a definate 'no chance' or if the landing fees are beyond my budget. So, specific questions:

What are 'Mod(RAF) rates'? Same for every RAF field or do they vary?

In GENERAL terms, are they happy to have PPL's dropping in (don't worry, wasn't planning on going to Fairford or Brize at the moment!)?

Is there a good online source of info on where you can and can't go?

Who would I call at the bases (there are phone numbers for both ATC and Ops at most).

Anyone have any specific stories/recommendations of friendly places? I'm looking at the Yorkshire/Lincolnshire/North East area specifically.

I may also post this on the military forum, but since it's a question from a PPL point of view, thought I'd try here first. Thanks for any help.