PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Precautionary landing during thunderstorm!
Old 27th Jan 2014, 14:31
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What makes you say that ? There are pilots who fly for fun and choose their days and weather! There are pilots who fly long distance and who cannot be so selective and who would love to go and see a film or do something else because the weather is crap but within reason we have to fly!

Crossing and occluded or cold front distance chances are you will have to pick your way through at the worst levels ie 10 to 12 k as appears with this guy a diversion maybe his best option!
That does not mean he lands in the middle of a thunderstorm ( they move you know ) and neither do you risk your PAX
It's just a different sort of flying by more experienced pilots not Sky Gods
Pace, I was flying from Budapest back to my home base in 2012 in an Archer 3. The forecast was for a line of thunderstorms from the Alps across to Prag. Some might have risked it, I didn't. I landed at Krems and waited for the front to pass, I didn't fly until I could see the lightning flashing and the skies darkening, I knew what was ahead and landed.

I understand your point about thunderstorms moving but as you know, thunderstorms don't have a radius of impact of around a few hundred metres but rather a number of miles and whilst I applaud the fact that this was a precautionary landing, rather than the "take off into a storm" which was initially reported in a local rag, I think even landing at a strip where the storm is overhead would not be my preferred option, I would have returned from where I came and waited, after all, in most cases our spam cans can fly quicker than the storms progression.