PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Night it Rained Meteors
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2014, 14:02
Dennis Kenyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Night it Rained Meteors

This is something of a 'longshot' but is for any PPs around who can recollect the happenings at 209 AFS RAF Westonzoyland in February 1954. Yes I said 'fifty.'

I've been asked to write an article covering the event on a night flying exercise when a Meteor, (I think it was a Mk7) landed wheels up on 12th February. I'm not naming names at this stage tho' In those days, the runway consisted of 'goose-neck flares' and as it wasn't possible to get the jet clear, three other Meteors were held overhead while efforts were made to set out an emergency runway alongside.

WZ sits on the Sedgemoor plain in an area surrounded by the Polden, Blackdown and Quantock hills. Fog was forming. Following abortive attempts to land on the emergency strip in the reduced visibility, two Mk 4 aircraft were diverted by ATC to nearby Merryfield. Sadly neither pilot made it and crashed fatally.

A fourth Meteor 7 with a ventral fuel tank was held overhead and eventually cleared in to attempt a landing. On the final approach both engines flamed out but luckily a non-damaging landing was accomplished. A local paper covered the story the next day with the headline ... "The Night it Rained Meteors."

I would like to hear from any personnel who may have served at Weston Zoyland at the time. (ATC or aircrew, etc) and who can provide further information of that night. Please use: [email protected]. Many thanks to our Mod and all ppruners. DRK.