PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When noise complaints turn nasty.
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2014, 09:46
emergency000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We never seem to see people who buy houses next to railway lines campaign for their closure. Or freeways. Or industrial complexes.
Around Melbourne there are numerous places on our freeways with signs which say "TRUCKS AVOID USING ENGINE BRAKES". These are always around a downhill gradient (when said trucks NEED to use said engine brakes to maintain a safe speed) and are almost always where residential areas have been built directly adjacent to the freeway.

A personal favourite of mine when I've done the occasional drive of a B-double up the Hume is passing Beveridge on the way back into Melbourne around 7-8 am on a Saturday morning. There's another of these signs there. So, of course, because it's a downhill gradient, I ensure I click my engine brakes on Can't have trucks speeding now, can we?

Speaking of, a few years ago there was some uni student who'd just moved into a house that's on one of the main thoroughfares for trucks in Melbourne and he was whinging to the paper about how he couldn't get any sleep. Nevermind that there's a curfew in place on the road between 6 pm - 6 am... Obviously, being a student, he was up all night and trying to sleep all day.

So airports aren't the only ones copping a whack. I'm sure railways and heavy industry come in for a serve now and again, but all these are nothing when it comes to the angst directed at airports.