PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Real Manchester Airport
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2001, 20:42
Delboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I would love Manchester Airport to be in the vanguard of efficient and innovative airports. Unfortunately, as long as it is run by Manchester Corporation, it doesn't have a chance. I have been travelling regularly to the Far East for the last 6 years, using Terminal Two. I have also used T2 for two holiday departures. I can state, without exaggeration, that on every single occasion that I have used T2, at least one of the moving walkways, and sometimes both, have not been working. When I have complained to the airline staff, they have told me that they are always trying to get the walkways repaired, but to no avail.
I have complained to the Supervisor, who told me that children press the stop buttons. At 7 o'clock on a Winters morning? I don't think so. On another occasion, I saw two maintenance men about to disappear through double doors. I asked them who was responsible for keeping the walkways working. 'We are,' they said. 'Well they are not working,' says I, 'Would you mind fixing them.' They looked at me blankly and quickly pessed on through the doors and into their refuge. The walkways are hardly essential to able-bodied passengers, but the MIA attitude to them highlights the malaise which afflicts the place
MIA is a Corporation airport with Corporation attitudes. It will always be expensive and below par. Just out of interest, has anyone ever seen both walkways working?