PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Solo!!!
Thread: First Solo!!!
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2014, 11:01
Andy_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JG321
Congratulations! If it weren't for the weather today I'd have my third hour! Feels like such a long way away I'll be able to post this, but I plan to enjoy the journey!
Yeah, I had weather setbacks too. Did my first solo (circuit that is by the way). Went up 2 days later, low cloud at 600 feet, visibility near nil at the downwind end so did one low level check flight then landed... 2 days later managed another 0.7 hours solo before weather set in.

But today, 20 knots crosswind. So up with the instructor to practice crosswind landings. It was all going ok, but there was 2 helicopters spraying for mosquitos at the downwind. Its pretty typical in south east queensland, so we just do our thing and keep an eye on them and make sure your broadcast your intentions. I am on final, about 500feet and I pass over a helicopter. The wash pushes me up and screws up my approach. This is no problem, just go around. I was about halfway down the runway at about 200feet in the go around and I got hit by a massive gust that rolled the plane about 45 degrees. I tried to roll the plane back, but only with ailerons. Instructor took over immediately.

So the instructor said it was rotor wash from the second helicopter. Probably was, I dont know. But it rattled me enough to call it quits for the day. I am already a nervous flyer, and I worry that in a situation like that I would not be able to handle the plane. So now I am sitting here seriously doubting myself.

Anyway, got plenty of time to digest it all. I have surgery next week, so will be out of action for a while. Going to study for my BAK exam whilst I am out.