PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt. Lt. Sean Cunningham inquest
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2014, 09:34
Easy Street

Received 80 Likes on 36 Posts
Now, you try picking up a strap, feeding it thru a black and yellow handle and connecting it up as per my previous post AND THEN TIGHTENING THE STRAPS TO PUT 30-40lb of into the handle to move it even to the first detent.
I know of at least 2 occasions on which a lap strap has been incorrectly routed through the handle of a Mk10 seat when strapping in. One by a colleague under pressure on a course, and another by a friend scrambling for an op sortie. Both were rushing and both realised what they had done in their final pre-take off checks; neither had moved the handle at all so they were able to put the pin back in and adjust the straps. It's worth noting that the pull required on the handle is halved due to the mechanical advantage offered by the strap, and 15-20 lb is well within a realistic range for a lap strap pull - especially if you are making them extra tight for some aerobatics practice...

Feeding into such an occurrence could be groundcrew dilution (ie why didn't the liney spot the strap error?), unit culture/SOPs (were they imposing unnecessary time pressure?), safety process (awareness of previous close calls) and seat design issues. The practice of unstrapping during taxy back (during which the pilot tends not to look down, replacing the pin and undoing straps by feel) would also remove the opportunity for others to spot the condition.

so the insinuation it is all the fault of the pilot strapping in incorrectly twice is the root cause has passed you by?
I haven't seen anyone say it is ALL HIS FAULT. It looks likely that there will be several causal factors, and it is inconceivable that Sean would have had the opportunity to influence more than one or two. You also missed my comment that the pin was in the correct hole in the handle, not in a gap.

Last edited by Easy Street; 26th Jan 2014 at 10:23.