PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what is going on?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2014, 04:55
Mac the Knife

Plastic PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mailwasher is only client-side filtering in a way - it downloads the headers rather than the whole mail, allows you to select/preselect what you don't want and then deletes them all from the server long before they hit your machine.

Since a trip to Buenos Aires a couple of years ago I get lots of medical advertising spam from South America, mostly from a couple of adsites, that would take ages to download and clog my machine. Messages to [email protected] and [email protected] have been ignored. Before I connect, Mailwasher checks my badlist and starts by deleting all the known unwanted crap from the server and I can just tick off a few more before fetching my mail.

These are quasi-legit sites and there is no way for me (or most people) to set up my own personal email filter at my ISP (who in fact does a pretty good job themselves of deleting obvious spam and malware). AFAIK none of the big ISPs in S. Africa have this facility.

So Mailwasher it is - why are you so agin it mix?

And no, I don't bounce stuff - it has little effect and just clogs up the Web even more.

Mac