PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRI(ME) Requirement for ME IR Instruction
Old 25th Jan 2014, 07:18
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
ifitaintboeing wrote:
The wording of IRI in Part-FCL was an oversight which is being corrected. Under JAR-FCL the requirement was that you had to hold a current CRI/ME and IRI to teach for the MEP-IR. A stand alone IRI could only teach single-engine unless they also hold/held a CRI/ME or equivalent (FI with MEP privileges).
However, Timothy's e-mail from ***** stated:
The law will change between April and July next year to mean that the privileges of an IRI certificate used on SEP or MEP are only valid if the IRI holder also holds an instructor certificate that entitles him/her to give instruction for the Class rating.
The implication in the e-mail being that the CRI requirement will also apply to IRIs conducting training on SEP aeroplanes. I trust that this is a CAA error and that IRI privileges will, in fact, be as stated by ifitaintboeing, restoring the situation which existed under JAR-FCL?

I'm not sure to what 'elective training' refers in this context; the ATO course requirement and Assessment of Competence requirements are quite clear to me.

Given that Timothy obtained his IRI(A) certificate in all good faith, I would hope that the CAA will grant maximum accreditation of elements already completed for the IRI(A) course towards the CRI(ME) certificate, such as the 35 hours of ground training and will require only those airborne elements of the CRI(ME) course which were not already completed during the IRI(A) course.

Whopity, as I'm sure you know (but others may not), a standalone IRI may conduct IMCR/IR(R) training outside an ATO provided that 'a syllabus recognised by the Civil Aviation Authority' is followed.

Last edited by BEagle; 25th Jan 2014 at 07:52.