PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2014, 23:03
Danny42C

Warmtoast,

Thanks for the "gen", the pictures and the link. So we've bought 43 of these CR-62s ? A quick Google/Wiki for "List of RAF Airfields" gives a (very rough) total of 25 flying stations (including those leased to our Gallant Ally). Am I missing something ?

I must say that it looks very nice kit indeed. The sheer size of the thing is impressive. Perhaps you might need it. I quote: "Range is 18 n.m. for a lm˛- target" (so a bumble bee at ˝-mile ?) - you'd need 20/20 vision to see it on the tube !, and "the PAR features selectable digital moving target indication and a video correlator, to improve weather clutter rejection"

(Pardon me ? - we just had plain old MTI on the CPN-4 and PAR [a CPN-4 come in out of the cold] - and even with that you could mistake a flying duck for an aircraft close in, if you weren't careful).

I've been away from this game too long, I suppose....D.

Brian 48nav,

Thank you for the kind words - we've got a good thing going here....D.

Geriaviator,

A sobering story indeed. Makes you realise what life was really like in the days when the cloud you were in suddenly turned green - then you didn't see anything ever again (RIP for all of them) ....D.

Cheers to all, Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 24th Jan 2014 at 23:05. Reason: Spacing.