PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anti RAF Propaganda : The Times : Letters Page
Old 24th Jan 2014, 20:44
rockape2k7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Time for Hangar Shuffle to hear the truth....

I rarely post on here, but Hangar Shuffle should hear the truth.

I was at the COB too in the time frame you suggest. In fact you can look to me for the answers to why your det was so uncomfortable. But before that I would like to add to your ill informed opinion and add clarity for other, more adjusted, readers and commentators on this thread.

Firstly, your view of the situation as you describe it was not the 'fault' of the RAF. For accuracy...

The RAF Regiment Wing at the COB at that time was a joint, multi national organisation working 'one up' to the UK Brigade and two up to the UK Divisional HQ in a joint manner. It comprised 580 Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force men and women from a variety of nations who defended the multinational COB with great bravery. That joint organisation suffered 4 fatalities and many serious injuries in it's attempt to keep you safe in your scratcher. It paid it's price to defend that little piece of Britain as did many others down town.

Secondly and furthermore:

Phalanx was delivered by Navy, Army and Air Force personnel as part of a joint unit, as part of the Force Protection Wing, and were enabled by great levels of pride, innovation and guile.

The 'counter battery' as you describe it was delivered by the Royal Artillery who for the large part of your det were part of the RAF Regiment Wing. And were proud to fight in that role. Chestnut troop were a fantastically 'joint' unit.

Your focus on the USAF-centric delivery of the 'Air Umbrella' is also inaccurate. The air cover the COB received, at the expense of others in distress, was provided by the coalition air component that apportioned air cover as appropriate. At times, we enjoyed US asset cover. At other times it was UK cover. It only depended on what was required where and in what role. Sometimes the RAF was best suited to the role we demanded. At others it was the US.

With respect, I suggest you desist from posting utter rubbish and dire tribe comment.

R2K7