PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 24th Jan 2014, 17:17
diginagain

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thelearner
I'd like some more opinions on the rebreather.
I started flying offshore before the first version was introduced, which fitted snugly between the stoles of the lifejacket. ISTR that it was introduced as a result of a series of losses, to improve escape-times and instill a little confidence. The LAP jacket combined the hybrid re-breather with the lifejacket replacing the two previously seperate items.

Initial training included teaching the passenger that an additional supply of air was included in the re-breather, that the initial exhale into the jacket would provide some extra time, and the training-rig also allowed the demonstration of the effects of water-pressure on the assembly.

Personally, I accept the discomfort of wearing the LAP, given its purpose. Where my take on the item may differ from my fellow passengers is that I have no difficulty with the HUET due to considerable HUET training in a previous job, and recreational diving.

It always helps, of course, if you are given a little prior notice of the need to use it.