PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 24th Jan 2014, 14:02
Lonewolf_50

Received 401 Likes on 248 Posts
CJ, I am not sure how it works in the UK, but here in the US there is a thing called "strict liability" that covers a lot of tort cases. I suspect something similar is in place in the UK based upon what is in the article linked.

Strict liability means that "your helicopter landed on my house and my wife is dead" becomes a tort (a wrong or injury done) which leads to a claim for compensation, or "being made whole" via the application of a cash poultice. It doesn't matter if it is willful, negligent, or pure accident, the damage is done. In the US, a willful or negligent factor will often increase the fiscal punishment or award, but that is a detail.

I am pretty sure all helicopter companies carry liability insurance for just such cases. Further that point, I expect that their legal counsel and their insurer have pursued reaching a settlement rather than going to court, as that often makes the overall financial outflow less. This appears to be an interim measure, if the article has all of its facts straight.