PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWA lands at wrong airport.
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2014, 10:45
Aluminium shuffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you saying that landing at the wrong airport, and stopping just short of a cliff through luck rather than judgement, is OK, and nothing more than a screwup? And are you also saying that any incident that is non-fatal is acceptable.

In direct answer to your incredibly stupid question, I'll give an answer that you were incapable of offering: I expect pilots to land at the correct airport without breaking things, including pax, unless there has been a mechanical failure or diversion that precipitates said incident. That is what professional, competent pilots do. So, of your choices, I'd take the option that doesn't cost lives, but since landing at the right airport is more likely to protect lives than landing at the wrong one, my third option is the better one. Pull your head out!

Everyone makes mistakes, and anyone who disagrees with that is a liar or incredibly inobservant of their own performance, but some errors are of such magnitude to be unforgivable. Mistaking airports in a modern, fully functioning jet is one of them.