PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2014, 10:04
Warmtoast

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Brian 48Nav

I was never a member of 205/209 but I had several trips in 205/209's Sunderlands whilst stationed at Seletar and China Bay (1957-58) before being posted to Gan.

One particular flight I enjoyed was when I returned to China Bay by Sunderland after a spot of leave in Singapore. Having overnighted at Glugor (Penang) we took-off on the long flog to China Bay and after an hour or so at 7,000ft or thereabouts to get cool the Captain descended to around 500ft and enquiring of the signaller in charge of the brew operating the Primus in the galley why we had descended, was told that the Captain (a Flt. Lt. D. Fairbairn) enjoyed his tea which had to be made in the proper English manner with boiling water, and as any fule no's water boils at a lower temperature when at altitude. Hence the captain descending to make tea at the point where water boiled at the correct boiling point for a perfect cuppa! With the tea made, up we went again.

The navigator on that trip had a Dutch sounding name (Flt. Lt. Van Wadenoijen - not sure if the spelling is correct).

Not sure if the names ring any bells with you, but passed on for info.