PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ossie Ardiles involved in car accident in Falkland Islands
Old 24th Jan 2014, 09:51
Edmund Spencer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ardiles combat was an interesting one.
By all accounts he was on his own as his opposite number had gone u/s.
He was apparently flying a Mirage V with heat seeking missiles (Matra 550?) and 30mm cannon in the air defence role.
Two guys from our squadron were sent to intercept.
One will swear to his dying day that he was shot at by a front hemisphere missile and had to take violent evasive action.
I make absolutely no judgement here but the jettison of external fuel tanks could, apparently, give this same effect. (Sharky Ward mentioned in in his book, I seem to recall.)
The other got in behind and shot Ardiles down.
They both thought at least two enemy aircraft were in the area.
Of course there are many Argentinean corroborative accounts from the ground of what took place above 20,000 feet! (Bit like the hand of Madonna!)
I am not entirely sure where the combat took place. Perhaps Naval Eye can confirm?
I believe it was over the Falkland Sound and the wreckage of Ardiles' Mirage fell into the sea.
One of the few Mirage V combat air patrol missions perhaps.
I remember passing the guy who said he was shot at by the missile as he came down from the flight deck.
He had absolutely no doubt!
Perhaps this is what the Ardiles documentary and subsequent accident is all about?
ES