PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2014, 02:02
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the V-speeds preloaded somewhere in the CDU (under INIT REF?) for both takeoff & landing?

No, we don't (yet) pre-load the speeds into the CDU. Most of the aircraft still don't have speed tapes and we continue to use the 'old' system of moving little white 'bugs' around the ASI for our reference speeds. The takeoff speeds are in a little book that lives in front of the thrust levers. You select the appropriate weight and the relevant speeds are there for you to bug up on the ASI. There are two sets of speeds depending on temperature/assumed temp (flex) but that won't apply to you, so you'll just be using the 'low' speeds. It's much more obvious when you see it versus my description.

The landing Vref is available when you hit the INIT REF button. It takes your present weight and displays the Vref for flap 20, 25 & 30.

During the V1 Cut, does the auto-throttle automatically disconnect? If so, at what point? My notes indicate that when leveling off with max con set, the PF should reset the thrust to 80%N1; so, I'm curious about what the auto-throttle is doing at this point...

No the A/T does not automatically disconnect. You'll leave the power where it is, rotate slowly to about 10-11 degrees and control the yaw as you've always done. Once the gear is up and above 400ft you determine the failure and call for the appropriate checklist or memory item drill. The first actions following an engine failure, fire etc are to turn off the A/T arm switch (on the MCP) and close the appropriate thrust lever. From then on it's manual thrust and the A/T will be doing nothing, since it is turned off and will not re-engage

Also, how is single-engine VREF determined? My notes have it listed as 144-kts at 280,000 lbs. Should the speed command bug be set to 149-kts in this case (5 kts additive), then?

Single-engine landings are carried out with Flap 20, the speed of which is available on the INIT REF page. SO, on the ASI you will 'double bug' the Flap 20 Vref. Your approach speed will be Vref20 + 5kts and this is what you set the Command Bug to (149kts in the case above). The other bugs are your minimum manoeuvring speeds and are always related to the Vref for Flap 30. Therefore, you'll have a bug set at Vref30+40 and Vref30+80. There is a 'spare' bug which you can do what you like with; some people move it to the top of the ASI, some put it at Vref30+20, some put it at their approach speed i.e. VrefXX+5, it's up to you

Last edited by Fratemate; 24th Jan 2014 at 02:27. Reason: To describe a V1 cut and NOT an RTO