Thread: NOTAM's Update
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2003, 00:24
Mike Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FS

You need the link under NOTAM worded "VFR FIR Brief - EGTT"

From the brief itself:-
"THIS VFR ONLY AREA BRIEFING CONTAINS NOTAM SORTED BY RADIUS OF INFLUENCE INTO TWO SECTIONS. THE FIRST SECTION CONTAINS NOTAM WHICH HAVE A RADIUS OF INFLUENCE OF 30 NM AND LESS AND THE SECOND THOSE NOTAM WITH A RADIUS OF INFLUENCE GREATER THAN 30 NM.
BOTH SETS OF NOTAM MUST BE STUDIED CLOSELY BEFORE FLIGHT."

The one headed "VFR Aerodrome Brief - EGTT" is sorted in order of AERODROME NAME rather than ICAO indicator, which the feedback from most users called for.

The prime purpose of these briefs is to provide a standardised brief which can be printed out and stuck up on the noticeboard at an airfield.

Some may also prefer to use it for local flying, finding it quicker and easier than the alternatives.

Those planning a specific route will probably find the Narrow Route Brief better. Those flying IFR will want one of the other briefs also as these are VFR only.

Where I think we have a problem is here:-

"THE FOLLOWING SECTION CONTAINS NOTAM WITH A RADIUS OF INFLUENCE OF 30 NM OR LESS, SORTED BY TYPE: AGA, COM, RAC, NAVW AND OTHER AND WITHIN EACH TYPE SORTED GEOGRAPHICALLY FROM NORTH TO SOUTH."

It's the "within each type bit" I'm not sure about. The format was laid down by CAA/DAP. Personally I think the sort should be:-

First by latitude
Then by type

NOT

First by Type
Then by Latitude

which is what it says it is. Any other views?

We'll have the beer on another occaison!

Mike