PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Davos. Whom do you serve?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2014, 20:11
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Davos. Whom do you serve?

I watched the UKs Channel 4 Evening News tonight. The report (which lasts for about 1 hour if you don't watch it), opened up a bit of a special report about the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum at Davos, a resort in Switzerland (I've never been).
World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2014

Its a power meeting, an awful lot of whom are the real shakers and movers of the world>apparently.

C4 tried to link Davos meeting to how it may help and affect ordinary British people in real terms - it did this by going to a street in the Staffordshire area (Davos Way) - an area that has fallen on a bit of a hard time, meeting ordinary Britains, what affected them, what did they need?

Watching it (the report), it struck me forcibly how far reaching decisions about the world, how it is ran, how it is divided up, who will be rich and who will be poor, who will be at war and who will not, will be decided upon by people who we will have not direct or indirect influence upon, ever.

One of the Davos mighty spoke on the programme - this man.

Martin Sorrell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Incredibly clever, cold, arrogant and focused would be my first impression of him. Him, and a few thousand others (including of course the creature Blair) are among the invited attendees.

C4 estimated that Davos power people types represent 0.01% of the globes population.

Did any one else see the clip? Their thoughts upon it?

My question. Who now, are you people of the military really serving? Do you feel a sense of serving the people of your country? Are you still loyal to them?
Or simply, are you slowly getting the feeling you are serving and helping, most of all, the people at the meeting in Davos?

Or are you now somehow, becoming a tool of the very rich, the Davos types who really seem to running and shaping the modern world - the super rich, the super industrialists, the super media moguls, the unelected. Do you feel manipulated, used?

I'll start of then. I never took any sort of oath of allegiance to the crown or the UK people as a rating. In the RN, even the national anthem is never sung, ever. Its hard to feel any sort of real loyalty, in some ways other than to your own branch, shipmates or indeed the RN at times. Yet we were constantly used to represent GB, and do her bidding.
So no - I never felt as sense of allegiance to the UK, and yes, I think things have moved on to the extent in the world that control seems to be slipping away from sovereign nations own making.

Best regards, HS.