PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus CAPS deployment option during emergency
Old 23rd Jan 2014, 19:35
Jonzarno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace

I agree that most GA accidents are caused by pilot error and that a substantial proportion of the CAPS pulls in the list are in that category (we can debate what constitutes a "substantial majority" ).

Whilst this is by no means limited to the Cirrus fleet, your point about the need for training beyond the minimum required to pass a PPL is well taken. As I said in my earlier post, that's exactly why COPA tries so hard to reach out to Cirrus pilots to deliver that.

As regards your comment about pilots being enticed to take on flights they shouldn't because they have the chute, as I said in my earlier post, I think there is an element of risk homeostasis in some pilots behaviour, but this isn't limited to Cirrus pilots. One man's risk homeostasis is another man's acceptable risk in light of experience.

For example, the JFK Jr accident in which he seems to have bet his life and those of his two passengers on the ability of his autopilot to cope with a night over water flight when he had no instrument qualification. He lost.

As another example: ferry pilots regularly bet their lives on a SEP getting them across the Atlantic (I think you may even have done that yourself?). Personally, I wouldn't, not even in a Cirrus , but that's my risk assessment and I wouldn't call anyone who chose to take that risk a bad pilot.