PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerostar 600 v's 600A
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2014, 15:00
gassed budgie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
But UTR's P -Aerostar does 205 kts at about F200 and 90 litres / hr.
Well I can't get anywhere near that. Not sure what size engines UTR has in his, but I sit in front of 350hp per side. The best I can do is just on 110l/h at 55% running at around 80°LOP. At that power setting the aeroplane will do 204ktas in the low teens. The Aerostar (well this particular machine anyway) seems to have a real sweet spot running LOP at 55 - 65% power at any altitude up to around FL150.

Above this level the wastegates start to do their thing and by the time you arrive at FL200 they're fully closed. The engines can certainly be operated LOP at this level and above, but they just don't run anywhere near as smooth as they do back down at FL125 for example. They burp, fart and pop which gives me the ****s, so once the wastegates start to seal up it's ROP.

Fuel flows ROP at 55%, 65% and 75% are 140l/h, 160l/h and 180l/h respectively (as a matter of interest the fuel flow with T/O power set is 350l/h and after setting climb power, it comes back to 310l/h). With an average load at FL250, the aeroplane will wind out to 228ktas, 245ktas and 260ktas with the aforementioned power settings. Having said that, I very rarely go that high. It would only be to get over some weather or perhaps to catch a nice tailwind. On the longer legs, the aeroplane spends most of it's time somewhere between FL180 and FL220 with 65% power set. It feels pretty comfortable here and the aeroplane really hits it's stride.

Bring the power back a bit and you can come downhill at 1000fpm at 200kias without much problem and then into the circut. The first 20° of flap can come out 174kias, followed by the gear at 156kias (I try for 140kts), making sure you've got the ball centred when you reach for the handle. Base at 130kts, down final at 110kts if it's heavy and over the fence at 100.
It's an easy aeroplane the land and while your waiting for the turbo's to cool/spool down, don't forget to press the 'deflate doorseal' button otherwise you won't be able to open the door to get out. I've lost count!

A pressurised Aerostar cruising in the flight levels is an awesome thing
......indeed.